Chicaque Natural Park Experience
Hiking or Birdwatching experience at the Chicaque Natural Park, a magical and unforgettable place in the surroundings of Bogotá. It is located in an ecosystem of flora and fauna characteristic of the Andean mountain ranges known as Bosque de Niebla (Cloud Forest).
Discover the Natural Reserve of 300 hectares of sub-Andean forest, with heights ranging from 2,000 to 2,700 meters (6,560 ft – 8,860 ft) and temperatures from 11 ° to 17 ° C (52 F – 63 F).
Hike with a certified environmental interpreter or with a certified ornithologist (choose in advance among these 2 options). Enjoy the surrounding nature and relax yourself. Learn about the flora and fauna of the region, and about the ancestral native people that lived here.
Your guide will pick you up in the morning directly at your hotel in Bogotá. Drive for approximately 2 hours to get to the Chicaque Natural Park, located southwest of the Sabana de Bogotá, in the municipality of San Antonio del Tequendama. Once you arrive to the Park, you can enjoy its majestic viewpoint which on clear days allows you to observe the snow-capped peaks of the Tolima, Santa Isabel and Ruiz volcanos.
Your guide will take you to a magnificent hike of approximately 3 hours through this natural reserve that is home to 214 species of birds (some of them endemic to the area), 20 species of mammals, a variety of reptiles, amphibians and arthropods; to more than 3,000 plant species, 7 types of forests, 20 km (12.5 miles) of ecological trails and 3 streams of crystalline waters that make Chicaque a unique place in the world.
The rich historical heritage of the region is well reflected here. The meaning of the name CHICAQUE in the language spoken by Muiscas (the indigenous people who inhabited these valleys and highlands before the Spanish conquest) means CHI – our, CAQUE – fight.
At the end of the hike you can relax enjoying a delicious lunch (included) in the restaurant located in the Hostal Refugio del Parque. If it is of your interest, you may also have an adrenaline zipline experience (optional, not included).
In the early hours of the afternoon, you will start hiking back with your guide to the entrance of the Park. For those who are not interested in hiking back, there is the possibility to book a 4×4 transfer service (optional, not included – only available for booking in the morning, with payment directly to the guide before starting your walk at the Park).
In the afternoon, return trip to Bogotá with drop off directly at your hotel.
Tour available in Spanish or English
– Door-to-door transportation
– Guide: choose among environmental interpreter or certified ornithologist
– Guided hike in the park (or birdwatching if you choose ornithologist as your guide)
– Lunch: soup, main course, dessert, and natural fruit juice or water (vegetarian option available, please request when booking)
– Transportation on a 4×4 vehicle from the restaurant back to the park entrance
– It is recommended to wear closed / comfortable shoes and sportswear (avoid wearing jeans, tight clothes, flip flops and large accessories)
– Bring a change of clothes, repellent, sunscreen, a cap and light raincoat. It is important to carry a lightweight backpack that allows you to hike hands free.
– Keep yourself hydrated: bring water or purchase it once you arrive at the Park before you begin your hike.
– Since the ecological trails are physically demanding, it is recommended not to book this tour if you have had hip, spine, knee, and/or ankle surgery, or any kind of injury, heart problems, asthma, or if you are several months pregnant.
– If you are under some medical treatment please bring your medication. Park personnel are not allowed to provide any kind of medication.
– Due to the topography of the park, this tour is not recommended for children under 5 years old. Parents are responsible of their children during the hikes downhill / uphills.
– The entry of pets, glass containers, cigarettes, hallucinogenic substances and alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
Dress CodeCasual. Comfortable athletic clothing, hiking shoes, hat, light jacket.
IncludedEntry fees - TicketsLunchPersonal GuidePrivate transferTransfer from your accommodationWalking tour
Not IncludedBreakfastDomestic flight ticketsGratuityWater